Facebook Badge

Friday, September 4, 2009

H1N1 post by me

Well, people have been discussing H1N1 Pandemic since a few months ago and many people have died from this virus. We can see people wear mask, avoid going out etc. As a medical student, or more to what I think logically, wearing mask canNOT prevent this shits to happen.
First of all, those who concern about this pandemic know that this Influenza A is caused by virus, hmm, all influenza caused by virus. Virus is very small. They are just strands of DNA or RNA, maybe enveloped in protein envelope. They are not classified as organism (as what I know) thus they are not microorganism. Wearing mask can prevent the infection of H1N1 virus, many people think. But for me, virus can still pass through tiny holes of the mask. Nah, nothing is perfect in this world and I believe these tiny holes are big enough for virus. From the official WHO site, I read the post about this pandemic quite long ago and it appeared that what I think was correct, although not 100%. There is still a need to wear mask, to those who have the symptoms of Influenza A. This can reduce the chance to infect other people. On that post, it stated that healthy people do not actually need to wear masks as this cannot really protect them from the virus.
Then, why am I so against all the prevention of this virus? Because I had dengue before and I am still alive. So I think everyone will be okay to face any disease. Dengue has a higher fatality rate compared to Influenza caused by H1N1 virus, and yet people are more scared of it. If I can survive a dengue attack, why not H1N1? Hahaha... Just joking.
Seriously speaking, Influenza A only affects some particular age group and those with some health problem. Nah, my information may not be correct because I never study this, but if memory serves, this virus attack mostly young people, from age 12 to 35?? Not sure. And also those with obesity, cardiovascular problem or ... not sure, are classified as hig risk groups. Oh ya, pregnant also included in high risk group. Now that I have learnt about pregnancy, I think they are at higher risk because of some hormonal changes that causes some changes in respiratory system (shit, I am not sure what hormone is it, progesterone or oestrogen!??).
So, don't worry much about this stupid virus. If anyone has the symptoms, get treatment early and it will not be harmful. LOL! From what I read, Tamiflu is used to treat H1N1, but it is expensive and not easy to get.
Why am I writing this? Again, because I survived a more "dangerous" disease, and feel that all the fear is too much. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment